Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wish I was living on this cake right now...

Despite being the start of a new month today, it is yet again another cold, rainy, windy day...
I wish I could go to a sunny, warm, paradise. If you are in the same boat hopefully looking at this next cake will transport your mind to such a place at least for a minute.
Oh how I wish I could be one one of those beach towels...

I made this cake for a woman's birthday, she wanted a "Hawaii" cake. I stacked cakes and carve them to get the shape... that ended up very messy but it looked good eventually. I iced the cake with a sandy coloured buttercream and sprinkled it with a bit of  brown sugar for a sand like effect. The water was made by mixing blue dye and piping gel (I learned the technique from watching Cake Boss <3). I piped the white border to look like waves crashing against the shore and I piped some grass up top. The umbrella and trees are unfortunately not edible, I was pressed for time. The beach towels and shells however are edible, with the beach towels being made of fondant and the shells being made of chocolate (I used molds for the shells).
It's a nice cake to look at on such a gloomy day.

Hope you enjoyed the mini-vacation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment