Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Heaven!

Q: What do you do when you have celiac disease and are craving chocolate?
A: Make this gluten-free chocolate heaven cake of course!


I'm drooling over a picture of my own cake, that's when you know it's good. Over the summer I attended a monthly party called "Yuka Flux"... long story short it involves an alcoholic beverage called a "Yuka". I later discovered I shouldn't have taken part because the brand of vodka used was made from grain NOT potatoes, but that's another story. Anyway, I often brought treats to the parties since I had become known for my cakes. The bad part was I could never eat my own cakes so finally I got fed up and decided I would bring something gluten free so I could snack, but also so delicious that no one would complain.
I'll be the first to say that combing amazing flavour (not to mention texture) with gluten-free is not an easy feat. However, I managed and this is how I did it:

- I used a gluten free chocolate cake recipe that I found on the internet (though we have also made the same cake with packaged mixes and it turned out well) though it has more of a brownie consistency rather than cake
- I made two layers of that and cut each layer in half so I could fill between each one
- I also figured out how to make chocolate ganache from the internet and made two recipes
  • one whipped - which i used to fill between the layers and ice the entire cake with
  • one liquid - which i poured over the cake after it had set a while (watch out, it can overflow as you can see in the picture)
- Between each layer I also placed sliced strawberries on the icing filling
- I bought some nice looking strawberries, melted some white chocolate wafers, dipped in the strawberries and let them harden in the fridge
- I melted some regular chocolate wafers as well and drizzled that across the white chocolate on the strawberries
- Lastly i placed the chocolate covered strawberries on the cake

Everyone at the party LOVED the cake and could not believe it was gluten-free... mission accomplished!

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment